Monday, April 18, 2005

Mother's Day

Oh, how I hated seeing all the advertisements on television and at the stores reminding us that Mother's Day was approaching. I'd turn off the TV, I'd look the other way. Why oh why did there have to be constant reminders that Mother's Day was going to be here, but Paul was not. This isn't a celebration, this is a time to mourn. Yes, I have another son and he means the world to me but my world was not complete my other son was gone.

It was a difficult day to get through then and will be again on May 8th of this year. I will do as I always do, first to think of Paul,read the last beautiful card that he gave me and then I will spend the rest of the day with Jeff and Rad (he is the wonderful man that came into my life last year, more about him later).

I have learned, especially in that first year, that the anticipation of a holiday, birthday, or any other important date is actually worse than the day itself. I believe that this is an important observation for a bereaved parents preservation. I learned this with help from another bereaved parent from Compassionate Friends. I will explain more about Compassionate Friends later but there is a link to it in this blog.

No comments: