Sunday, March 13, 2005

After the funeral .....

.....friends and family came to my home for food and a much needed drink (me included). It was good to have everyone near to keep my mind off of the finality of the morning. I remember holding Rosie my great niece who was nearly a year old, my sister commenting on a beautiful Mother's Day card from Paul. Was it just 5 months ago that he gave it to me? The verse was so appropriate relating to our circumstances (being a single parent), that I kept it where I could see it everyday (today it is on my dresser). (I was to find out soon how many things I would hold on to that were Paul's). My niece's Jackie and Jill along with my son Jeff, were looking at my picture albums, recalling the years of growing up together. My dear friend Sue, Paul's Godmother, and her husband Greg were there giving support. It wouldn't be long though before everyone was to leave. At the end of the day, Jeff and his wife to be, retired to the spare bedroom, and I was alone with my tears.

The next day I met my sister Rose and her husband Jack for breakfast in town before they were to leave back to Chicago. We stopped at the cemetery before they left for a final goodbye. Jeff met his half sister Heather and her husband before they were to leave for Ohio. Again, we were left alone, now everyone was to return back to their daily routine. For Jeff and I our routine would be on hold.

No comments: