Thursday, December 08, 2005

Your Compassionate Friend

This is from my local chapter TCF newsletter:

I can tell by that look friend, that we need to talk.
So come take my hand and let's go for a walk.
See, I'm not like the others - I won't shy away,
Because I want to hear what you've got to say.

Your child has died and you need to be heard,
But they don't want to hear a single word.
They say your child's with God, so be strong,
They say all the "right" things that somehow seem wrong.

I'll walk in your shoes for more than a mile,
I'll wait while you cry and be glad if you smile.
I won't criticize you or judge you or scorn,
I'll just stay and listen 'til night turns to morn.

Yes, the journey is hard and unbearably long.
And I know that you think that you're not quite that strong,
So just take my hand 'cause I've time to spare,
And I know how it hurts, friend, for I have been there.

See, I owe a debt you can help me repay,
For not long ago, I was helped the same way.
And I stumbled and fell through a world so unreal,
So believe when I say that I know how you feel.

I don't look for praise or financial gain,
And I'm sure not the kind who gets joy out of pain,
I'm just a strong shoulder who'll be here 'til the end-
I'll be your Compassionate Friend.

-Steven L. Channing TCF of Winnipeg, Canada

No comments: